Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Mix and Match Parts- Recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member TubesNhorns's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2010
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Mix and Match Parts- Recommendations

    I have a nice unmodified set of Santiagos. Additional parts include: N501-8A crossover set, 511B horns, 808-8A drivers, 421-8H woofers. I also have an active crossover, 500Hz, 1st order slope.

    I want to go for a more efficient speaker and I play my music at fairly loud volumes. My thoughts are to:
    Swap the 411 woofers with the 421's. I will damp the 421's with some rubber cement.
    Pull the 811B's and drivers out of the cabinets. Configure their opening as a tuned port.
    Swap the 811 CD's onto the 511B and mount them on top of the cabinets.
    Swap the crossover to the N501.

    • What is the best way to configure the newly created port?
    • How should I phase the horn?
    • Thoughts


    regarding active (bi-amp) versus passive crossover?

    How would you mix and match these parts?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Mix and Match Parts- Recommendations

    FWIW, 421s play louder, but at much higher distortion once you can visibly see the cone moving due to having very little mechanical power handling capability [Xmax].

    511 horns/N801-8A ? horn loads lower, higher XO combined allows much greater horn driver power handling.

    Best to get a new active adjustable XO, preferably with adjustable time delay, and probably wind up at 1 ? 1.2 kHz, 2nd or 4th order depending on just how loud you listen at. Unless you sit along ways away and still need 4th order, odds are we won?t be hearing from you much longer and neither will you unless you routinely listen through good ear protection. Then again, some folks just like the sharp cut-off of higher order XOs.

    Turn cabs upside down to get horns closer to the woofers. Tuning will depend on lowest note your system is likely to ?feel? the need to reproduce at high amplitude [SPL]. Otherwise, I?ll assume the prosound industry?s ~42 Hz to keep the mid bass strong and you?ll need to use high pass EQ to protect them below this point.

    I don?t remember, and can?t find ATM, the cab?s internal net volume [Vb], so will need this also to calculate a port.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #3
    Junior Hostboard Member TubesNhorns's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2010
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mix and Match Parts- Recommendations

    Cab internal dimension look like about 5.5 cubic feet and the 515 volume is 0.3 cubic feet, so actual volume is around 5.2. I do have a Rane active crossover I can throw into the mix. I have a couple of those DIY subs made from 5 gallon buckets, if you are familiar with those, they are actually quite respectable, so I will cross those over somewhere around 50 Hz. Roger that on flipping the cabinets. I appreciate the concern regarding my hearing. Been listening to loud music for 40+ years but still test out excellent on my annual physicals. What can I say?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Mix and Match Parts- Recommendations

    Interesting! My memory was that it was the same as the studio monitor’s 6 ft^3.

    Well, I’ve read about them here. Anyway, a 6” dia. x 4” long vent should make it around 40 Hz to give adequate protection with a 50 Hz XO point.

    Lucky you, >120 dB in the mids/HF made my ears break-up so bad when young that even basic ear plugs wasn’t enough. Even later on after my ears trailed off to ~14 kHz from racing unmuffled 2 stroke karts and being close to too many top fuel & alcohol dragsters at WFO, I had to leave the Fabulous Fox theater to get away from Deep Purple’s finale that at that time set a new indoor concert SPL record. Made Ted Nugent’s Fox Concert seem like a ‘boy with guitar’ in comparison.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Mix and Match Parts- Recommendations

    I had to leave the Fabulous Fox theater to get away from Deep Purple’s finale that at that time set a new indoor concert SPL record.
    I remember hearing talk of this in the past.

    I think my most intense "too freekin loud" experience was at a Foghat/ZZ Top show. Not unlike top alcohol and top fuel, some frequencies actually blurred your vision, one of the few concerts i could not enjoy in it's entirety.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Mix and Match Parts- Recommendations


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Mix and Match Parts- Recommendations

    a buddy of mines house was like that. we used to sit out in the front yard. I just couldn't take it.
    Sonic Barbarian

  7. #7
    HB Super Moderator
    Mix and Match Parts- Recommendations


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Mix and Match Parts- Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I think my most intense "too freekin loud" experience was at a Foghat/ZZ Top show.One of the few concerts i could not enjoy in it's entirety.
    I have a similar experience with a Rush show at the Tweeter Center as it was called back then.I had 3rd row seats in the pit off to the side right in front of a line array that wasn't hoisted very high..It was actually pretty close to the ground.It was so freakin loud I couldn't turn my head a certain way or it just rattled my eardrum to pain..I wanted to leave after the first 15 minutes as I couldn't even enjoy it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.